Thursday, September 19, 2013

My Daughter's Room - Clean & Organized

My oldest child, a 6 year old daughter, is the only one of our 4 children who has her own room.  The other 3 are supposed to share a room, but that is another story.  Anyway, her room was a disaster a few weeks ago.  Clothing, toys, books, shoes, paper, beads and gems galore.  All.  Over.  The.  Floor.  If I can remember correctly, her room was exactly like mine when I was 6.  Go figure!  Here are a few before pictures.





Previously, her closet had two sliding doors.  I just took them down before taking that last picture.  If she had the type that "fold" out, I would have left them up, but the sliding type are just horrible.  So I decided to just remove them.  It instantly opened up the space.  Hopefully it will also force us to keep it organized.  When we put everything back into her closet, I added a few things.  We put her Closetmaid cubbies in there, a bin with her stuffed animals, a new hamper and a few plastic bins.  Along the top are a few baskets and bins.  Up there we are keeping her nicer jewelry that is still in their original boxes and packaging and arts and crafts that are still in boxes as well.  The closet is looking much better since then and she has been excellent about putting her dirty clothing in her new hamper.  Yay!


She recently got a small desk, chair and wall cubbies from Ikea, but I could never figure out what to do with the space.  It was driving me nuts.  We hung up an Ikea Bygel rail and added some buckets to keep her crayons and pencils in.  I gave her a magazine file to keep completed artwork in.  I purchased Disney princess printable silhouettes from Etsy and had her favorite, Cinderella, printed out in no time.  It fit perfectly next to the Bygel rail.  She has a million collections, some of which ended up in the wall cubbies above her desk.



I found some adorable labels at Target and used them in combination with my label maker to give each of her wall bins a purpose.  She told me what goes in each of them and I printed out the labels on clear tape and voila!




She also wanted a place to put some of her artwork on the wall.  So I picked up some Martha Stewart corkboards that just stick to the wall.  They work perfectly!


Overall, everything turned out really well.  It's been like this for a few weeks now and while it has gotten messy again, it's been easier to put everything back where it belongs.  There are also a few more things we need to address (that horrible wire hanging down the wall from her ceiling lamp), but those will come with time.  So far, so good!  Here is the Grand Finale!







Linking up to these amazing blogs!

12 comments:

  1. What a fun space!!! I love all your fabulous organizing. My Audrey would absolutely love the Ariel decals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually bought that for her last Christmas when she didn't really have a favorite princess. Since Ariel is MY favorite, that's what I went with. She likes them all, but now Cinderella is her favorite! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi, stopped by from I heart organizing. Loved seeing how you organized your daughters room. Hope to use a few when we move into our new house .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! Good luck with your new house! It's always fun to start fresh with a new house!

      Delete
  3. Adorable! I have an Audrey too! I may have to use the bins on the wall idea for the closet/office makeover I'm working on for my Audrey. :) I stopped by from I Heart Organizing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love those bins. Actually, I love everything from IKEA! Haha! I am so happy that you left a comment, because I am now in love with your blog! I need plenty of time to sift through it. I need a lot of help in the debt/money department and I am sure I will find it on your blog! :)

      Delete
  4. Love the two tone purples!! Cute little desk space too...looks like you have a future planner/organizing diva on your hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! I think I am rubbing off on her a little bit. While her room does get pretty messy, she enjoys organizing her little trinkets and collections.

      Delete
  5. The room is great! Jumped over from ABFOL. Is the bed Ikea's HEMNES Daybed frame with 3 drawers, white? We are graduating my young one from a toddler bed and had my eye on this bed since her room is only 10x10 and need as much storage as possible. Did you purchase the foam mattress or a regular mattress? Thanks, am now a follower, you have great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly! Thanks for visiting! My daughter's bed IS the Hemnes daybed in white. I LOVE it! The drawers are huge. We keep her shoes in the first drawer, her pajamas in the second and her sheets and extra blankets in the third. The mattress is a regular twin mattress.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful room! We are redoing our teen and tween daughters' room (one of whom is also named Audrey) and are looking at the Hemnes daybed because their room is tiny. The novelty of a top bunk is wearing out for Audrey. We currently have two mattresses that are not from Ikea. I know you said you used a regular twin mattress, but wanted to double check if it was an Ikea regular mattress or not. Ikea's description seems to say it is smaller, but I'm really hoping a standard, non-Ikea mattress will work! Thanks, and once again, you did a fabulous job on her room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize for taking so long to respond to this! Just saw it now for some reason! Anyway, the mattress we used for her bed is just a regular one we had from a previous twin bed frame. It is not from Ikea. Thank you so much for stopping by! Good luck with the room redo!

      Delete

You might also like: